***See end of post for information on the theme call for next week’s Third Thursday Flash: The TURKEY Edition!***
A little over a week ago, I was honored with two awards in one day. Wow! Today I’d like to discuss the second of the two, the Liebster, which comes to me from the wonderful Katherine Checkley—thanks so much, Katherine! Katherine runs a beautiful and informative blog called The Intrinsic Writer, which deals with all sorts of writerly topics. Katherine’s is a great voice, and this is why it’s such a compliment that she nominated me for my second Liebster Award. 🙂
Here are the rules for the Liebster Award:
- Post eleven random things about you.
- Answer the eleven questions provided by the giver for you.
- Create eleven questions for the people you nominate.
- Choose eleven people to award and send them a link to your post. Go to their page and tell them.
- No tag backs.
Eleven Facts About Me:
- I eat cold sweet potatoes almost daily as a quick snack, and I keep them pre-baked and grab-able in my fridge.
- I “run hot” most of the time. Fortunately, I prefer tank tops.
- I own enough high-heeled shoes to fill a small closet—and I have a small closet actually filled with said shoes.
- I am addicted to Trader Joe’s apple/pumpkin/cranberry-apple butter. Yum!
- I’ve been getting up between 4:45 a.m. and 5:15 a.m. almost every weekday to squeeze some writing in before work. (I’m still not entirely sure why this is working for me, but it is.)
- I like the smell of paper. In fact, I worked at a print shop for two years in college, and I used to love to smell every type of paper and report a scent description to my colleagues. They thought I was weird. Go figure.
- I love baking cookies for friends and colleagues.
- I have an impressive Venetian mask collection hanging around my house. (I might have as many masks as I have heels, come to think of it…)
- I have only been in eleven U.S. states: California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Colorado, West Virginia, Hawaii, and Florida for a day or more, and New York and North Carolina for under twelve hours each. How sad!
- My favorite show is Vampire Diaries. An extremely close second is Fringe. They have clever writing, fascinating topics, and beautiful casts on both!
- I love candy, and I have since I was a little kid. It’s kind of a problem…
My Eleven Questions to Answer:
- Have you ever seen a ghost/spirit? If so, tell me about it. If not, do you believe in ghosts/spirits? I haven’t, but I do believe in them.
- What’s your favorite movie from the 1980s? That’s easy—Who’s That Girl. I’m a crazy Madonna fan, and that was one of my first Madonna memories.
- What do you wish you knew in high school that you know now? So many things! Mostly, that if it seemed like people weren’t telling the truth, then no amount of convincing could make it any different.
- What’s your favorite cocktail or alcoholic beverage? A lemon drop floated with Chambord. Yum!
- What’s your favorite vegetable? I’m fond of just about every vegetable other than asparagus. However, I eat spinach and brussel sprouts the most. This is hilarious if you know me, since I grew up hating brussel sprouts but “trained” myself to like them. Now I actually really enjoy them!
- What’s one band or artist you love that goes against your normal range of musical taste? My normal range is pretty much all over the map, so I don’t know that there’s anything against normal for me. Though, as a huge Madonna and pop fan, I suppose mentioning I also love Tool, Stabbing Westward, and some Metallica might be unusual…
- What’s your favorite Disney movie? No hesitation: Sleeping Beauty. Whenever I read it to my niece before bedtime, there is inevitably the moment I bust out singing “Once Upon a Dream.” To which she usually rolls her eyes and says, “Auntie Eva, the song is not in the book!” 🙂
- What do you think was the most interesting news story of 2012? That women are able to prevent pregnancy during rape by willing it so. News to me. (And horrifically ludicrous news, I might add.)
- List all the major cities of the world that you’ve visited. Which was your favorite? Since I haven’t been out of California much (see random fact #9), I also haven’t made it to many major cities. However, if you look at Wikipedia’s List of U.S. Cities, I have apparently been to more than I thought (seriously, Oakland made it on this list?). I’ve been to every major city in California, as well as Washington D.C.; Charlotte, N.C. (though it was an overnight hotel stay only); Seattle, WA; Portland, OR; Reno, NV; Henderson, NV; Las Vegas, NV; and Honolulu, HI. Okay, that list is somewhat depressing. I’m not sure I have a favorite. I love Las Vegas but not for the traditional reasons people love Vegas—I have family there, and stay far away from the Strip—but I also love San Francisco. Er, scratch that. I love Honolulu. I love Hawaii! (Excuse me while I go book a flight back!)
- Who is your favorite figure from history? Queen Elizabeth I, Cleopatra, and Mata Hari. Everything about Queen Elizabeth’s era fascinates me (I worked the Renaissance Faire for many years when I was younger), as does her entire life story. Cleopatra intrigues me more for her romance with Antony, but I also love the time period. Mata Hari has captivated me since I read a book about her in my teens—a seductress spy whose failing was to fall in love? Intense.
- What current song can’t you stand? Kesha’s “Die Young.” I try, try, try to appreciate Kesha, since I know my kids are listening to her—but I just can’t pretend on this one.
Phew. Those were surprisingly challenging questions by Katherine! 🙂 Now on to…
Eleven Questions for Those I’ve Nominated:
- What is your favorite musical decade?
- List your travel destinations of the past. Which one is your favorite?
- Do you live where you want to reside, and if not, where would you move?
- If you had to go back to school today to follow a new career path, what would you study?
- What is your favorite wild animal?
- If you could board a time machine and live in any place and time, where would you go?
- What is your favorite song of the moment?
- What genre do you prefer reading that is distinctly different from what you write?
- You and your laptop are on an adventure to write in the most blissful setting possible (free of charge). Where do you go?
- What is the book you read (or were read) as a child that charmed you the most?
- If you pick an actor or actress to play the lead role of your most recent work, whom would you choose, and why?
Okay, on to the nominees…Having just nominated five fantastic bloggers last week, and having discovered that all of my favorite bloggers are people I nominated the last time I sent a Liebster around, I have decided to break the rules (for shame, Rieder!)…I am nominating only two people. While I am issuing an honorary Liebster to the five people I nominated for The Illuminating Blogger Award, the following are two people whose blogs are full of great information, and whose posts I always look forward to reading!
Thanks for the engaging posts, you two! Well done, and keep up the outstanding work. And of course, thanks again to Katherine Checkley for nominating me! 🙂
Before I wrap this post up, I want to remind everyone that next week is the sixth edition of Third Thursday Flash—meaning theme submissions are open now until Monday the 19th at 8 p.m. PST! Since this particular edition will fall on Thanksgiving, I’m officially entitling it Third Thursday Flash, the Turkey Edition. That’s right: The TURKEY Edition! Interpret as you like, and send along an idea, pair of words, sentence, or theme that you would like me to craft into a flash fiction piece for next week’s Third Thursday Flash. You can send your ideas to email@example.com.
Thanks for participating and reading, everyone!
November 16th, 2012 at 5:18 pm
Thanks so much Eva! That’s always the way it is with awards and such, they come in bunches. I have to go and read your post from last week, now. And then I’ll know EVERYTHING there is to know about you 🙂 🙂
November 17th, 2012 at 11:05 am
Well…I don’t know about EVERYTHING, but you’ll sure know a lot. 🙂 And you are welcome. Thanks for being a superstar blogger!
November 18th, 2012 at 11:42 am
Thanks for the kind words, Eva 🙂
November 19th, 2012 at 5:56 am
Of course! 🙂