Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
By now I imagine many of you are stretched out on the couch, digesting the delicious and large meal that we all tend to indulge in for the Thanksgiving holiday. I know I’m still recovering myself, but after stuffing my face I came home to tackle my [extremely late] blog post. Last week, I put out a call for ideas and mentioned that this week’s edition would be the “Turkey Edition.” It sounded fun at the time, but it didn’t stir up many ideas.
In truth, this morning I toyed around with the turkey idea a bit, but what I came up with ended up feeling like it needed far more time and attention than a 500 to 1,000 word blog post. I decided maybe Third Thursday Flash, The Turkey Edition needed to be chucked out the window.
So instead of writing a turkey piece today, I will be holding off on Third Thursday Flash, Edition Six, until next week. I am putting out another submission call for anyone who would like to participate, open until 8 p.m. PST on Monday the 26th. Please send along a couple of words, a first line, or a theme that you would like me to use to craft a 500 to 1,000 word flash fiction piece for next week’s post. You can send this idea to email@example.com.
Sorry for the delay, and in the meantime, I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving, ate lots of food, and spent lots of good time with people they adore. I know I did—and now I’m pretty sure it’s time for my tryptophan-induced coma. 🙂
There’s been an awesome phenomenon going around Facebook lately: the Thirty Days of Thanks posts in honor of Thanksgiving. I think it’s important to remember all that we have and are blessed with in our lives, and unfortunately, I didn’t catch on to the trend until too late to join in.
However, with Thanksgiving in a few days, I decided I’d do my own Thirty Days of Thanks in one post! The following are things in my life that I am incredibly thankful for, and they come in no particular order except the very first one. 🙂
I am grateful for…
- YOU, my blog readers. Thanks for joining me as I meander along in my writing journey, and for sharing your thoughts back!
- Parents—all four of them!—who love and support me.
- Outstanding friends that do the same, especially
- Two dear friends who have put up with me for 19 years. You two are the best! XO
- A sister I grow closer with each day. (Love you, sisser face!)
- A niece I adore that makes me laugh with her adorable 5-year-old ways.
- Two mischievous yet ridiculously cuddly cats. (One is sleeping in my lap as I type this.)
- A roof over my head in a safe neighborhood.
- Food in my belly, always. (And I mean always, since I seem to eat every five seconds.)
- Wonderful colleagues, many of them friends at
- A job that I enjoy, and which provides me an income to do the things outside of work that I like to do, such as
- Vacations around the world and
- Going out and having fun. Then there is…
- The safe birth of my friend’s way-too early baby (so glad she got to the hospital early enough! Rooting for you, little one!).
- A second credential in English, which just made work twice as fantastic.
- A working, healthy body that allows me to live my life and stay active.
- Creativity, and the ability to use it.
- Rediscovering my passion for writing after ignoring it for far too long.
- Connecting with other writers both on the blogsphere and in person, especially
- Superb writing mentors and friends and
- People who are excited about my writing. Then of course, there are the little things, but as an “I have a glass! Yay!” kind of optimist, they make me happy too—things like:
- An organized bulletin board of writing projects.
- A gym in my condo complex, as well as a pair of hot tubs and a beautiful running trail.
- An antenna that lets me watch my favorite shows in high-definition without having to pay for cable.
- A hallway full of family and friend photos.
- A new housecleaner who rocks my world.
- A super fast typing speed that makes writing a breeze.
- My spiffy new Macbook, which paired with my desktop computer, gives me maximum writing options!
- My expensive but comfortable bed, and of course
Thanks for reading the short list of things I’m thankful for in my life. I could go on, truly, because I don’t think that a list of thirty things is long enough to cover all that I appreciate. Especially my #1—thank you for you, readers! 🙂
I hope that all of you have an opportunity to find at least one thing you are thankful for this week, and that you all have a happy Thanksgiving. In the meantime, don’t forget, the submission call for Third Thursday Flash Edition Six: The Turkey Edition, is still open until 8 p.m. PST tonight. Can’t wait to see your ideas…gobble gobble! 🙂